Wednesday 21 January 2009

‘I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly…’


The 44th President took "the oath of office" (1) yesterday. There was a trivial, momentary slip when Chief Justice (2) John Roberts asked Obama to recite the first line of the oath in the incorrect order. Roberts said “execute the office of President of the United States " executive faithfully,” rather than “faithfully executive.”

(1) a formal and very serious promise
(2) the most important judge in a court of law, especially the US Supreme Court.

Watch, listen and fill in the gaps.

CHIEF JUSTICE: Are you prepared to take the (1) _____________ senator?

PRESIDENT BARACK: I am.

CHIEF JUSTICE: I Barrack Hussein Obama do solemnly (2) _____________...

PRESIDENT BARACK: I Barrack Hussein Obama do solemnly (3) _____________...

CHIEF JUSTICE: That I will execute the office of (3) _____________ of the United States faithfully…

PRESIDENT BARACK: That I will execute the (4) _____________ of president of the United States faithfully

CHIEF JUSTICE: And will to the best of my (5) _____________...

PRESIDENT BARACK: And will to the best of my (6) _____________...

CHIEF JUSTICE: Preserve, protect and defend the (7) _____________ of the United States...

PRESIDENT BARACK: Preserve, protect and defend the (8) _____________ of the United States...

CHIEF JUSTICE: So help you God...

PRESIDENT BARACK: So help me God.

CHIEF JUSTICE: Congratulations Mr. President.

PRESIDENT BARACK: Thank you.

WOMAN: It is my great personal (9) _____________, to present the (10) _____________ president of the United States; Barrack Obama.

PRESIDENT BARACK: Thank you. Thank you.

CROWD: Obama! Obama! Obama! Obama!


No comments: